The Toay Story

Thursday, July 14, 2011

4th of July Revisited

We stayed in Iowa for the fourth this year. We made a couple of trips to Perry to see the family but also did a lot of nothing around our house too. Unfortunately the pool wasn't cooperating and wouldn't clear up for us, so the pool party we had envisioned didn't happen.

When I was a kid, my dad bought a contraption called a PPV at a garage sale. He not only bought one, he bought three, one for our family, one for our cousins and one for my uncle. It is basically a car shaped vehicle that is pedal powered. It has two seats in the front and a small bench behind those seats. I remember driving all over town in that thing. Unfortunately through the years, only one of those three remains in working condition. My dad thought it would be a good idea to get it out and let the grandkids play with it. My sister and I wanted to take a spin for old times sake. Let me tell you, I am positive it was bigger when I was a kid and much easier to pedal. One trip around the block and my knees and hips were aching. Here is a picture of my sister and I in the PPV to give you a better idea of what this thing is.




Once again this year my nieces wanted to have a lemonade stand for the Fourth of July. My parents house is a prime location for parade watching. Its right on the route and has a large front and side yard which allows us to always have plenty of people over to watch the parade. My mom and dad baked goodies and made lemonade and the girls sold it at the parade. They actually made quite a bit of money although I am pretty sure that most of it is from other family members. When we were kids, we got an old rickety card table and a homemade posterboard sign. My dad cuts no corners when it comes to his grandkids though and built this for them.




This was Scout's first independence day and my sister had her all dolled up in a cute outfit and even a Statue of Liberty crown. She was a good girl and is getting so much personality. Here are a couple of new pictures of her. She is getting so big and is such a sweetheart.


No comments:

Post a Comment